We’ve written more than once about how important a good scale is for brewing. In fact, after a good grinder, it’s probably the most important piece of brewing equipment you own. We’ve reviewed some really excellent scales before, but we’ve yet to see a definitive scale produced.
Enter the Acaia Coffee Brewing Scale
A new coffee scale on Kickstarter might just change that. The Acaia Coffee Brewing Scale advertises to have all of the features we’ve ever wanted in a scale, plus a few we haven’t thought of, including:
- 0.1 of a gram accuracy (no more of this half-gram nonsense.)
- Touch-sensitive buttons to eliminate coffee grounds or moisture ruining your scale.
- Flat, silicone bottom to ensure a level surface, ergo an accurate reading.
- Programable auto-off, so your scale doesn’t shut off while brewing (we hate that!!)
- Eco-friendly rechargeable battery. (nothing is more annoying than having to go buy batteries before brewing coffee).
Perhaps most impressively, the scale can communicate with your smartphone via bluetooth. Acaia is developing a coffee brewing app that will synchronize with the scale, which will time the brew and calculate the water/coffee ratio. The small foot print and minimalist design complete the package.
In all, the Acaia Coffee Brewing Scale sounds like a coffee geek’s dream. But is it too good to be true? Well, we’re not waiting around to find out. We backed this project, and if it’s successful, you can expect a full review from us in the future.